Life Gets in the Way

What an awesome weekend! My parents flew in late Thursday night. After scrubbing our place and fluffing the pillows in the guest room, Stu and I drove out to the airport to pick them up. Friday morning I got up early (maybe too early) to get a quick run in. 30 minutes. Check. Then my mom and I went to get mani/pedis at my favorite, Peachy Nails. Meanwhile Shel and Stu went to the gym. My dad likes to stay busy so it was good timing. When our nails finally dried we went back home to pick up the boys and then off to Cheesecake Factory. We had gift certificates from some awesome people that we had been saving for this weekend. As we headed to Buckhead snow flurries appeared! By the time our humungo lunch was on its way to our hips, chicken-feather flurries were coming down and it started to look like Colorado. I was very impressed with this Georgia snow. However, that foiled our plans for the afternoon. Around 3pm the roads were getting bad and drivers were getting crazy, I guess when you’re not used to snow you feel the need to do whatever it takes to slow down traffic. So instead of going to the Georgia Aquarium we headed to another great tourist destination: Costco! There my wonderful father bought some necessities that we had conveniently just run out of (ie Dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, TP, Diet Coke, brownie mix etc.) We also bought food for Stuart’s Green Card Party on Saturday. By the time we got home it was full-on mock Colorado. The snow was sticking. Snow men were being made on every corner. And seriously, everyone that got out of their car thought it would be a good idea to throw snowballs. I think we saw about 10 snowball fights on our way home. Weird Southerners.

Saturday would have been a great day to go for a run, but instead we lounged around and my mom and I cooked for the party. Quality time with the parents was a much better use of my time...at least that’s what I’m telling myself. I mean I could have joined my dad when he went to the gym, but I could see it in my mom’s face that she REALLY wanted me to stay and watch CMT Top 20 Countdown. The rest of day was spent cooking and preparing for the festivities. Finally 6pm came and we had a great time at the Green Party. Lots of people showed up and they were all wearing green! It was great. It felt like a pre-birthday party for me! We had a huge taco bar and played Wii all night. My parents snuck out early to go watch Apollo Ohno dominate in speed skating.

Finally Sunday (Valentines Day) rolled around and my dad had an early flight out. If only he had known that he would get stuck in Chicago for 10 hours and get home to Denver the same time my mom did, he could have stayed and watched movies with us all day! Poor chap. It was a great weekend with my family. I love them so much and think the world of my parents. I hope they come back soon! After we dropped off my mom we went to Passion City Church. That was also incredible. Louie is my hero. We went out to dinner with our friends who went to church with us at the crazy Greek restaurant off of I-85 called Mykonos Taverna. That was the craziest dinner I’ve been to in a long time. Complete with Loud Greek music, dancing, and yummy gyros.

So that was our Valentines day. We decided to push our romantic date a month out for when we go to New York. It was a good day, but we did miss our long run that was scheduled. It was supposed to be for almost 2 hours. Oops. I kind of made up for it yesterday, but only ran half that time. Stuart went out and bought us some Nike+ Sportbands. They’re awesome and I’ve been wanting one for a long time. Now we can track everything when we run outside (if it ever warms up in this igloo state). We hit our goal of running a 10K and so rewarded ourselves with some new watches. Our next goal: TEN MILES. Yikes. But the race is a month from this coming Sunday!!! OMG.

kbajaliaH (February 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM)  

easy there weird southerners

Post a Comment